240 transmission whining

Car: 1989 Volvo 240 (B230F engine) "RWD"

Symptom: Strange intermittent Austin Maxi gearbox type whine coming from somewhere around the gearbox/prop-shaft/diff area. Sound level ranges from not noticeable to very loud and comes and goes with no apparent correlation to speed or anything else.

Other Factors: If I declutch whilst going along the sound remains and if I also declutch and knock out of gear the sound remains, if I brake the sound remains. Eventually however the sound goes away only to come and go again at some other indeterminable point. Also, does not appear to be temperature dependent.

Anyone any ideas what this could mean?

Cheers,

Graeme.

Reply to
Graeme Hartley

The first thing to check is the center support bearing on the driveshaft, it's a common failure on high mileage cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you, I have the same symptoms above 70 kph seeming to go away after a few k's (260/auto) although mine's like the noise rail wheels make when you travel alongside a train. That does sound like a very likely cause I hadn't considered.

Reply to
jg

This is probably the carrier bearing, but in cases where it mainly happens when accelerating or decelerating, it is probably the rear trailing arm bushings; worn ones allow the rear end to shift a bit, and put strain on the carrier bearing. That happened to us two years ago, and the carrier bearing was fine after the bushings were replaced.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

driveshaft,

Worn trailing arm bushings will usually also cause a sagging rear end, as well as a clunk when shifting into reverse or drive with an automatic transmission. Both those and the carrier bearing are common high mileage failures.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't doubt you, but our 240 had neither of those symptoms, probably because I have a Keen Ear for odd mechanical noises, and it got caught early. Drives me nuts with three old cars. ;)

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Not saying you were wrong, just adding some additional symptoms to look for.

Reply to
James Sweet

Spoken like a true diplomat! Thank you for your past advice - it is still well worth reading and archiving.

just my $0.02

K.P. Canada

Reply to
Ken Pisichko