240 Turbo won't boost

Hi all,

Just a quick question: my 83 240 Turbo is running well BUT the Turbo doesn't seem to be giving much boost (if any). The indicator shows the boost maxes-out at about one third and won't go higher. Also the characteristic screaming of the spooling-up Turbo has disappeared.

Is it possible that the fan isn't spinning? If the fan seized would it necessarily start burning oil (oil-cooled turbo) or could the oil just flow through without trouble?

My chief suspect is a leak in some pipe attached to the Turbo but I have yet to find such a leak so I'm looking for other possibilities.

Tanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Search well (i.e. disassemble everything). Small openings become larger under boost and are easy to miss, check all of the "vacuum" lines too (I've noticed that the line to the distributor is often a problem) . Also check your check valves (on the brake booster, charcoal canister and interior vents [the tap off of #4 intake]) to make sure they are not opening under pressure.

The other possibilities are: Timing issues: If your timing belt has jumped a tooth the cam and/or distributor may be retarded limiting your performance. Clogged catalytic converter (if your car has one). Usually caused by running too rich to due a leak under boost. Collapsing or kinked hose in front of the turbo, clogged air filter or other blockage ahead of the turbo. Check inside the valve inside the elbow leading in to the air filter box (that draws cold air from the front or warm from the exhaust manifold) since that has been know to become blocked as well.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

This is a classic sign of a clogged exhaust, usually the catalytic convertor, as noted by Bill.

Reply to
Mike F

The "usually" is an excellent point. A muffler with some rusted out baffles can cause the same symptoms and may not even be loud.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Thanks very much, gents! I will examine as much as I can this weekend and leave the rest to my talented exhaust guy.

Cheers! blurp

On Wed, 12 May 2004 22:37:20 GMT, the illustrious Bill Bradley favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Ok, I've cleaned and checked the air filter and intake. I have removed, inspected, and reinstalled all the hoses and none seem to have cracks or hotes in them. There still seems to be a fair bit of exhaust coming out of the tailpipe and the sound is still a throaty rumble at idle. I will still ask an exhaust guy I know for additional guidance here.

What it comes down to is how do I actually test the vacuum? The "Vaccum-advanced timing" has been fingered as a possible culprit in several issues so I'd really like to get a closer look at it but I don't know what I'm looking at/for. I can see the distributor but only see electrical wires attached to it... does the vacuum exert its influence elsewhere in the system?

Thanks, blurp

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:22:42 -0400, the illustrious blurp favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp