240 wagon '93:electrical problems

Two days ago, during a trip, my Volvo's engine suddenly cut out...dead. I saw the indicator of rev./second counter goes down and so I thought "is an electrical problem"....I tried to start the engine but nothing. The day after the engine started normally but now I want to solve the problem because I don't like this. I know that the informations are few...thanks anyway. Greatings from Italy, Andrea.

Reply to
Andrea1717

many possible causes... on my '89 240, there's a plug-in fuse in the engine compartment, up against the top of the wheelwell and behind the battery... it seems to be the main fuse for the computer. A couple years ago, I had some problems with intermittant operation, and found that the socket the fuse plugs into had cracked or broken apart, and the fuse wasn't making good contact. Fixing that solved my problems, and it might be a good thing to check on your car....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Check all fuses for contact corrosion. My 240 went dead from time-to-time and various circuits worked intermittently. Finally, I just replaced all of the fuses in the car -- no more problems.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

_____ What did the on-board computer LED readout report?

I agree with the two responses already given. Some corrections and additional suggestions: o Remove battery terminals, clean, reconnect. o Remove _all_ fuses, clean terminals, put in _all_new_ fuses o Spade fuse by ignition coil is for fuel delivery system, not computer module. Remove fuse, check fuse body, clean contacts with very thin file, put in new fuse. The OEM location on the steel bracket by the headlight relay is a very poor choice. Too much water gets in. I relocated this fuse holder in a 1984 and 1989 240 onto the cage that holds the ignition coil.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
jch

Hi Andrea,

When you change all the fuses in the main fusebox, as already recommended, try to find fuses with copper or brass ends. Volvo in my experience doesn't stock them, but VW suppliers do. Also, before installing the new fuses, clean the fuse holders with fine sandpaper, then coat them with DIELECTRIC grease. This procedure will reduce the chances of corrosion occurring. Corrosion is the usual suspect.............

Good Luck Andy I. ('93 240 Classic Wagon)

Reply to
Andy

Thanks for the informations....I solved the problem: was a false contact in the hight tension coil....well I'm happy but during next days I'm going to clean all the fuses contact and the fast connections. Greatings from Italy, Andrea.

Reply to
Andrea1717

That makes sense. The fuel delivery system relies on the presence of a good pulse signal from the coil. It activates the tachimetric fuel pump relay. No pulses from coil = no fuel = no start or run.

Reply to
jch

I have had more 240s than I can remember as our cars, kids' cars, etc. I have always replaced ALL ceramic fuses with Buss glass fuses and never had a problem afterwards. They have (I think) stainless contacts and are readily available in the correct amperage at most auto parts stores.

Chuck Fiedler Noth>Hi Andrea,

Reply to
c.fiedler

Unfortunately Buss seems to have discontinued those :(.

Reply to
John Horner

In our modern mass consumption society, what isn't "in vogue" probably isn't made any more. Might I suggest you check with IPD and see if they have anything. My 93 240 is already so equipped (with reserves) and my 97 850 has spade fuses so I really don't know anymore but I

*think* if anyone has it, it would be IPD

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

IPD stopped selling them several years ago when Buss stopped making them. I simply use the traditional ceramic ones and replace them once every five years or so. No big deal.

Reply to
John Horner