240 wagon headlight relay location?

Does anyone know where to find the headlight relay in an '89 240 wagon. Sometimes my wife's headlights do not want to turn off when she shuts off the engine...

Reply to
Richard B

If it's the same as a '91, it's behind the vents in the center of the dash to the left of the overdrive relay. Best way to get to it is remove the center console piece and reach up where the change tray sits, the relay is a small metal box clipped to the metal there.

Reply to
James Sweet

It should be on the inner firewall just ahead of the brake pedal.

Bob

Reply to
User

That's a tricky one. You have to pull back the carpet under the driver's feet from the top left. Under there you'll find a black metal cover. Remove the screws holding the cover and the cover. Under that cover is the relay.

In principle, you can also get it out by simply pulling it out from the top by tugging the right bundle of wires, thus avoiding pulling back the carpet and removing the metal plate. It's a little tough to stuff back in later and you've got to trace the right bundle of wires to it.

I dissected the relay after it failed and, not surprisingly (given the location), it was full of water.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak