240 Warm Starting Problems

My son has a 1986 240 non-turbo, that for the past two spring and summer seasons has been hard to start when it it warm out. It is aggrevating because during the cold weather it starts fine. Where do I start to look?

Reply to
G Martin

Carbon builds up on the back side of the valves causing it to take more gas to start. Gas contracts when it is cold meanig you actually get more gas when it is cold. A corbon blast will correct the problem, but is it worth it? Most dealers charge 2 1/2 to do it. Try a tank of Exxon premium and a bottle of Tachron fuel additive.You will see a lot of charcoal looking particles coming from the exhaust. That is the carbon build up breaking loose. Should run better after that. Do it only once. The B230 doesen't need high octane gas to run.

Reply to
Rod Gray

G and Rod:

I've had hard warm start> Carbon builds up on the back side of the valves causing it to take more gas

Reply to
Nick Zervas

Nick has a valid issue here. I replaced many 240 wiring harnesses under warranty.Volvo stopped doing it in 97. I have commented on this problem before. Volvo wouldn't use PCV insulation because it gives off chlorine gas if it burns. Remember Volvo is the SAFE car. The insulation would crack and fall away from the wires on the main harness where it goes under the intake manifold. Cut the sheath back at that point and inspect the wires. The wires going to the air mass meter short out causing the car to stall. Tape them up and you should be good if that is the problem.

Reply to
Rod Gray