240 Water Temp Gage

I lived with the old temp compensation board problems for years with my '89 240. I finally replaced it with the IPD jumper setup, and could not be happier. I feel I get to see real, actual readings now. I can see the needle deflection when the thermostat opens, and I can see deflection when I open the heater control valve. This was impossible with the compensation board system. Anybody that's riding the fence on this issue, act now.

Reply to
JShreve

Could you post a link for this procedure?

Les

Reply to
Les & Claire

Is this same temperature compensation doodad fitted on 740's? I've just looked at the IPD site on the 240 area, for what this board does, the temp guage on my 740 behaves just like the IPD site describes for the 240, I.E. it rises ok, then seems fixed in the middle, no matter what, I've connected another sender (two wire type), and simulated overheating, the guage still sticks in the middle, then shoots up, but sinks ok when the sender cools. This can't be right, what on earth is the point of a critical guage that actually hides important information?

Ken P.

Reply to
Ken Phillips (UK)

Why cannot it be right Ken? We Volvo owners have had to put up with this type of temperature gauge for quite a few models now. It is intended to indicate when the engine is cold or a fault has developed which could result in damage to the engine. It was and is not meant for the more technical among us so if you want to be able to interpret the readings more easily I would check with IPD themselves. Their URL is

and they are based in Portland, Oregon,USA.

Cheers, Peter.

: >

: >

: > Could you post a link for this procedure? : >

: > Les : >

: >

: > -- : >

: > "Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission : > natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep : > within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson : > Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge : >

: > Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG : >

: >

: >

: >

: >

Peter Milnes

Found it here:

55&NodeIDF68&RootIDb9 I note that this is an '86-on issue, so doesn't affect the '82 dash that I'm putting into my '80. Not sure about the dash I got out of an '81 for the sedan speedo - it's got '87 written on it in oil marker across the back of the top.

I'll have to compare the two when I pull the '82 out of the wagon. Now I'm curious. :-)

Reply to
athol

Peter, thanks for replying, I do appreciate your point re. what non-technical drivers want to see; but, from my own experience of once having a well running 240, whose temp gauge told me everything when needed, but usually floated very close to centre; I'm intrigued why Volvo would want to damp out these usually very small fluctuations, to such a huge extant, that it seems the engine has to almost be on fire, before the 'compensation board' conceeds to allow a reading to occur. Seeing a steady (sometimes rapid) climb from the normal temperature indication is much more intuitive and give better reaction time, than a gauge that looks absolutely normal until near catastrophe, then rockets up after it's far too late. I have looked on the IPD site for any reference to 'fixing' the 700's gauge, but can't seem to find anything, I can feel another DIY job coming on.

Bye for now, Ken

Reply to
Ken Phillips (UK)

'compensation

Reply to
Rod Gray

'82 would use a speedo cable, '87 has electronic speedo. It should be easy to tell what's what.

Reply to
Mike F

This feature is built into the gauge on your 740. It's design is to stop customers from complaining about the minor, normal rises in the gauge readings on hot days.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks all,

I think I'll be endeavouring to find and kill or neutralise this compensating board on my 740, when I get round to it, on the assumption that it will be different from the 240 one, I'll post my results for all interested, I really do like to know how my engine is behaving.

Bye for now, Ken

'compensation

I think I'll be endeavouring to find and kill or neutralise this compensating board on my 740, when I get round to it, on the assumption that it will be different from the 240 one, I'll post my results for all interested, I really do like to know how my engine is behaving.

Bye for now, Ken

'compensation

Reply to
Ken Phillips (UK)

I guess that the circuit board on the back of the dash would be different for the electronic speedo? Both of the dashes that I have are cable speedo types, so I don't know what the scribbled 87 means. Perhaps they marked different clusters with different numbers for the assembly line?

Reply to
athol

Yes the circuit boards are completely different. I've never noticed any numbers written on the clusters I've removed.

Reply to
Mike F