240 windshield replacement

I have too many cars, one of them is an old '81 242 which I'm fixing up a bit to sell. It needs a new windshield, badly cracked and leaking. There's plenty of decent glass at the local wreckers but how do I get one in and out? Is it within the realm of a shadetree mechanic? Any special tools I need? I've replaced rear windows in 240s but the windshields install much differently.

Reply to
James Sweet

Select a windshield without obvious blemishes Gently pry a small hole in a corner of the window thorough the sealant Insert a innerwire brakecable from a bicycle and affix two grips Carefully saw through the sealant. Go completely round, do not saw on the edges of windshield or surround. Lift the window with a helper You'll probably find it easier to glue the window with a liquid sealer (sikaflex) instead of a tape

Reply to
M-gineering

I tried it using "brute force" and it was not fun. I pryed away a corner, then using thick leather gloves I literally just ripped it out going all the way around. Later, I dug tiny shards of glass out of my butt every time I had to get onto the car floor to do other work. Glass goes everywhere.

I hear that method with the wire works well. If it has that gooey black tar adhesive, that was a pain to remove. I'm not sure how much is supposed to be cleaned off, but I got mine down to clean metal. That is not a job I would do like that again. I'd try it the way the glass guys do.

jb

Reply to
Jamie

Removal and replacement of a windshield is not a job I would want to attempt myself. I will do pretty much any other repair, though. Find a good self-employed guy, preferably by word of mouth. I did, and got a great job at a good price: $170, cash, to remove, raplace, and reseal. He used the newer rubber surround, and it looks great. Avoid the shops that advertise, they cost too much.

Reply to
Mr. V

$170 is a good price, but it's too much for this car. I'll get maybe $1100 for it when I sell the thing, if I'm lucky. If I can't swap the glass out myself I'll shoot some caulk in the leak and let the next owner deal with it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't know if the '69 164 used the same design, but I was able to replace one of those windshields with no prior experience (I was still in high school), with two female classmates as helpers. As I recall, I simply sat in the driver's seat near the center, placed my feet on the windshield, and slowly and carefull applied outward pressure with my legs until the windshield unseated itself. Rubber spacer blocks aided in positioning the replacement...

Reply to
mj

68-69 is the odd year out, later models have a glued windshield, easily discerned by the chrome or plastis surround
Reply to
M-gineering

If the windshield is cracked it may break using this method. It might still work but be sure to tuck your pantlegs into your socks... glass shards down your trousers, especially when you're not in a position to easily shake them out, would be no fun at all.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

That was the old rubber gasket style mounting. Newer vehicles have their windshields glued into place.

Reply to
John Horner

No, it was glued in. I was surprised, because I expected the gasket.

Reply to
mjc1

I didn't install my windshield myself (I removed it only), because I was told that the windshield provides strength to the chassis in a rollover. If the window pops out, the roof collapses. I could have glued it myself, but didn't want that on my conscience.

JB

Reply to
Jamie

As I recall (and again, this was on a '69 164) the installation was straightforward. Clean the glass with a supplied treated cloth, then form the putty-like adhesive onto the lip - it already came in the right shape. Place a couple of rubber blocks under the front, and press the glass into place.

Reply to
mjc1