240DL - Smoke when turning...

The Volvo: 1987 240DL Wagon

The Issue: On occasion, I will make a left hand turn at a higher speed than usual or may make a sharper left hand turn and I will notice smke coming out from the back of the car. If I stop, I can see a little bit of smoke coming out from under the car. This has been occuring for a couple of years now, but no one has been able to fix it or figure out why it is happening, including my mechanic.

One time, after this occured, I stopped the car and looked underneath. It appeared to be coming from the center of the car, directly under the shifter.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this?

Thanks, Jason

Reply to
Jason Williard

For smoke to appear so quickly, it must be caused by friction. Since you're turning the corner harder than usual, it supports this conclusion. My main guess is the clutch plate could be giving off smoke from slipping - you're going around the corner harder than normal, car can only give so much acceleration before something has to give. You can test it by *making* the clutch slip and see if it's the same smell. Also keep in mind the half-moon seal in the back of the engine... When it leaks, oil makes its way between the engine and gearbox. When you turn the corner hard, this oil might be "tilting" enough to touch just a little on the clutch plate. Again - friction & oil - produces smoke.

Could also be (but not as likely), the rubber mount/bearing the drive shaft slots through.

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan

It might also be one of the wheels rubbing in the front. Imagine if one of the suspension parts is shot - drives fine until you pur sideways stress, then the wheel goes a bit too far - smoke all under the car.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

What does the smoke smell like ? Follow the smell and you will find the problem. If your mechanic has seen the smoke but couldn't figure out where is was coming from then I would be looking for a new mechanic. Oil, trans fluid, rubber, clutch and coolant all smell very different. It maybe that fluid is finding its way onto your exhaust and burning off.

AJS

Reply to
AJS