240gl noise in engine

I am having a noise coming from what seems to be the back of the top of the engine. my dad said it could be the tappets. Anyone got an idea. it happens mainly when I accelerate.

Thanks Mitch

Reply to
networker

what kind of noise are you experiencing?

tappets needing adjustment sound like a rattle noise

Reply to
vertuas

It could be just a leaking exhaust manifold gasket- they tend to sound remarkably like noisy valves. It could also be detonation or 'pinging'. Have a good shop take a look at it. I'm inclined to say it isn't loose valves, because they would be noisy all the time.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

"Michael Cerkowski

Yes, I'd suspect the exhaust manifold gaskets. Tappets don't change sound with engine load, the gaskets do.

Reply to
Mike F