244 back up lights

I have a 1984 244 - standard transmission. Sometime last fall or winter, the back-up lights stopped working. Obviously I checked the bulbs and fuse -- they are all fine. A week or two ago I went under, found the contacts on the transmission (farther back on tranny, near the top on the left) where the sensor/switch attaches (2 wires), and found that the insulation had rotted off the wires over the last couple inches. I cleaned them off and re-insulated them, plugged them back in, but still no back-up lights. Is it possible I hooked them up backwards ? - I didn't think it should matter. Any other id eas?

Thanks for your help.

Patrick Fletcher

Reply to
Patrick Fletcher

The circuit is pretty simple: ignition switch - fuse - switch - lights, no relays etc. There are junctions to and from the transmission harness as well though. See if you're getting power to one of the wires on the switch. If you are, try shorting those 2 wires together. If the lights now work, the switch is not working. In all other cases you need to trace wiring problems.

Reply to
Mike F