244 - Fuel and Temp Gauges too high !

Hi !

On my 1978 244DL, both fuel and temp gauges are far too high. I know that fuel is about 1/4th and it reads 1/2. Temperature is very close to the red zone and I know that the thermostat is new and that the engine does not get too hot.

I already changed the voltage regulator, anyone an idea where to investigate ?

Thanks in advance !

Reply to
ViSu

Probably the easiest thing is to go to a wrecking yard and get a couple of replacement gauges from an instrument cluster.

Replace them with yours and see if the problem persists.

If it does: the fuel gauge may be erroneous due to a failing in tank measuring device.

Reply to
zencraps

Hi,

Thanks for the answer !

I bought a couple of instruments clusters on ebay. Amazingly the model changed all 3 I got were not compatible. I switched a temp gauge and a fuel gauge and the problem remains... What struggles me is that it really seems that both gauges are indicating 2x the value...

Reply to
ViSu

Bad ground?

Reply to
Roadie

There is a module called a temperature compensator. It may be the same thing that you called the voltage regulator. It's a small printed circuit board about the length of your pinky finger. It plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. It handles voltage to these two adjacent gauges.

If this does not describe what you called the voltage regulator, then I would suspect this module. Even if it is, it is easy to get defective compensator, or to damage it with handling with your fingers exposing it to oils and contaminants.

I think the brickboard has an article on bypassing this module. Several owners have found that it is a weak link.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Thanks, that's a good one.

Having bought a couple of clusters on ebay and already possessing one, I swapped them all, in vain.

But thanks for the feedback !

Reply to
ViSu

It seems to me that the old style cluster had a voltage stabilizer on the back as oppose to the newer style cluster that had a trnsistorized voltage regulator. On the older units the stabilizer had an adjustable resistor that could occasionally be adjusted to correct a gigh gauge reading but the susal answer was just to replace the stabilizer Volvo PN

1234971 $52.17 List.

Bob

Reply to
User

If you did not get the gauges fixed yet here is the answer. Your Volvo has a voltaged stablizer on the back of the instrument cluster. It is a small rectangular box that has 3 male spade connectors. Unplug it and install a new stablizer. The stablizer reduces the voltage to 10 volts for the temp and fuel gauge only. The lower voltage is used so the gauges do not vary. The gauges are 10 volt gauges. Higher voltage higher readings. In 1981-1985 volvo switched to a solid state stablizer for 240's. In 1986 on, Volvo used the comp board. BD

Reply to
Big Dick