28K & front wheel bearing shot? V70T5

Just done a casual tyre check 'round the car & found play in the front RH wheel bearing.

Have checked the wheel studs are ok & I can feel the play when I grab the wheel & try to twist it. I can only guess the bearing is shot - it's only 1 year old with 28K on the clock! Going to call the dealer tomorrow. Have checked the other corners & they are 100% play free as I'd expect. Is this common?

Andy P.

Reply to
Andrew Potter

That little mileage seems pretty unusual. Try a google groups search using keywords Volvo wheel bearing S70 V70 850. That may surprise you, you are not alone with that problem.

My pet theory is excessive toe-in may greatly accelerate the wheel bearing wear. Are your front tires "feathered" (possibly indicating incorrect alignment)?

Reply to
Jim Carriere

I'd say the play you're feeling is more likely from a ball joint or tie rod end. Both these parts and wheel bearings are fairly common replacements on all cars, even at low mileage. Wheel bearings generally make themselves heard with noise similar to tire noise before any play is felt.

Reply to
Mike F