360 gls carburator

Does any 360 owners have any idea of an alternative carburator for a 1985

360 gls, me is no longer good need to replace, volvo dealer does not have the carb, any info . thanks in advanve.
Reply to
luis fernandez

The double barrel Solex or the Stromberg??

I dont have either, but I was just wondering.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

A carb from dealer would have cost more the car is worth anyway.

The original Solex downdraft is very reliable and lasts well, unlike the

1.7L engine and the older sidedraft stromberg on the 2L. Are you sure it needs replaced. Normally a good strip down and clean sort them out. Maybe service kit, replace diaphrams floats at the most. I have scrapped several cars with perfectly good carbs. Any carb from 1985 onwards will do I think. Get one from any 360 except GLT or GLEi (injection models).

Is the engine in good service overall? Clean breathers, new ignition parts, properly adjusted carb. It should run well, age is no excuse for bad running in these cars.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony Stanley

I quite agree, at the end of the day its a red block attached to the carb and they run nice and smoothly when setup properly.

In the case of the Stromberg, a new needle, jet and diaphragm every 40k or so followed by a decent setting up will have it running sweet as a nut. I found that Volvo's suggested CO of 0.5-1.25% was too weak for a stable idle, but 1.5% was just dandy if you set the idle to 875-925rpm.

A propely working thermostat is essential as neither carb'd engine will run properly if its running too cool.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..