440 sump plug size

Hello,

I just bought a '93 440 1.8 (great car for not a lot of money!) and i'm about to change the oil - just wondering what size sump plug tool I need to buy?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Melluish

earlier reply said:- If I remember correctly, it's 1/4". You can use a normal socketwrench to open it. Probably need extension to it though. I'm not 100% sure about this but that's what I think... it's a female type nut requiring a tool like an oversized allen key.

Don't Panic ....Halfords do exactly the socket you require and guess what..... It's marked for Volvo.....

Reply to
SamWidge

Thanks for the suggestion but a quick trip to Halfords at lunchtime didn't help - they just have an assortment of various size drain sockets and none of them marked up as Volvo!! There are various sizes ranging from 10mm up to 16mm. Hmmmm - I guess I might just have to buy one, take it back if it doesn't fit and keep going until I get the right one!!

Reply to
Dan Melluish

let me know the size when you find one, I'm still waiting to drain my 440 Turbo and go fully synthetic.

I'm thinking of taking it drag racing.........

Reply to
PORK SODA

Will do - i'm determined to get it sorted this weekend so i'll keep you posted.

Reply to
Dan Melluish

I cant get to my car at this very moment but I will check in the morning, I have the correct 'socket' for a 440 sump pump, will try to post it tomorrow.

Ed.

in

socketwrench

Reply to
Edward White

Well, one oil change later I can confirm that the sump plug uses an 8mm square key. I thought i'd ask my local Volvo dealer and they were happy to help (that's Cambridge Volvo in Havant - they are also sorting out my cambelt change next week)!

wrote

Reply to
Dan Melluish