5 Cylinder vs. 4?

I have had good success with several Volvos with the B2xxx engines ranging from a'64 P1800 to some 240 series. I'm in the market for another car and I see that Volvo has 5 clyinders on the market now. Are they as dependable and long lasting as the B-series?

Thanks,

Mark Guest

Reply to
Mark Guest

We bought the 5-cylinder S70 new in 1997 ('98 model) and I am very pleased with the engine. We don't have many miles on it (about 50K), but it has been a good, reliable performer for us.

Reply to
jtm

I know nothing about the realiability of the 5 cylinder engine, but being Volvo, why not? What I do like is the noise they make out the tailpipe, sounds really purposeful, like it's begging to go. Wish I could make my old B230E sound like that. Mebbe one day I'll get one, when I can afford it !!!

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Volvo's made and used the 5 cylinder for, what, a dozen years now? It's pretty bulletproof. My experience is limited ('01 S60 2.4T, 37K miles), but so far so good. Highly reliable.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

They're more complex, harder to work on, and you HAVE to make sure you change the timing belt on time, but otherwise I've heard a lot of good things about them and very few bad. They're less brute-force bulletproof than the B21/23/230 series engines but more refined. I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Can't comment on long lasting, as our 7.5 y.o. 850 is only approaching

60k miles, but we have never had any engine problems at all. It is parked outside all winter (Chicago) and starts on the first crank everytime.

Ours is a GLT (non-turbo) which is around 170 hp, IIRC. When the wagon is full the pick up is unimpressive to say the least. (It seemed to have more punch when it was younger.) OTOH, it doesn't even break a sweat cruisin' at 80+ mph.

I think 5 cyl. is a great compromise between power and mileage, and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Reply to
Phil Lefebvre

The 2.5 Turbo Diesel is superb, although it's made by Audi. Mine's done

220,000 UK miles now, and still has a lovely 'drone' about it when you poke the pedal. Performance is superb even at that mileage, and it really owes me nothing! My next one will be a D5 hopefully, Volvo's own Diesel engine. Anyone wanna buy mine? !! On other notes, I know people who have T5s on 200,000 miles. I'm told the 2 litre unit wasn't as good as the larger ones though. The T5 can be pickes up for an absolute bargain price now, with around 100,000 miles on the clock. Cheers. joe.
Reply to
Joe landy

FYI: All Volvo fuel engines in the last few decades are referred to by a code beginning with a "B".

AFAIK the first five-cylinder engine was the B5252F or the B5254F (5 cylinders, 2.5 litre, 2/4 valve per cylinder). This number scheme was introduced around 1990 for the B6304F engine in the 960 series.

Until then, the codes were something like B200E (2 litre, Bosch LE-Jetronic w/o catalysator), B200F (same with LU[?]-Jetronic and catalysator), B230F (the "standard" 740-series engine), B230FT (same with turbo) and so on. This schmeme was introduced around 1980 and began to become obsolete for two reasons: First, it wouldn't have made any difference between a 5- and a 6-cylinder 2.5 litre engine (which both were available later on), and second, there was no valve number code in it. The 4-valve version of the B230, which appeared in the late '80s, had already been assigned the quite inconsistent code B234.

Until somewhere around 1980, engine codes were something like B19E or B28E (the Peugeot/Renault/Volvo V6).

Reply to
Lars Trebing

All Volvo's engines are named the Bxxxx series. The 5 cylinder all alloy inline units are B52xy where x - 2 point something litre i.e 2.0, 2.3, 2.5. y - number of valves per cylinder- 2 or 4.

Letters after the numbers indicate as usual the fuel system fitted, naturally aspirated or turbo, and if turbo high or low blow.

No they are not as tough as the red blocks, but will cover 200k given

6000mile oil changes. Much more and you are lucky and on borrowed time.

Common ailments are noisy tappets, main bearing oil seal failure flywheel end, oil leaks around the cam carrier, and headgasket problems (esp turbos) as mileage progresses.

A broken timing belt renders the engine total scrap.

However aside from all that they go well, reasonable on fuel, pretty tough given maintanance, and make a glorious noise when revved.

NA 20valve units only come alive after 4000rpm unless you have a post 1999 unit which went to variable inlet cam instead of the variable inlet manifold which improves torque. 10v units pull well at low revs but run out of steam after 4500rpm!

2.5T (latterly 2.4T) pulls from nothing to 6000rpm and is easily the most regarded engine, good with manual and well suited to the auto. Quicker than a T5 from standstill due to virtually no turbo lag,

Latest 2.5T (with 210bhp) is stroked 2435cc unit and initial reports seem that Volvo has spoilt it. Max power is at 5000rpm and it gets vocal when worked to these speeds. Best suited to the lazy shifting auto in the s80 but good on fuel.

Tim..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." skrev i en meddelelse news:bhtu48$70k$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

I have a 850GLT 93, approaching 415000 km, no engine problems, timing belt change every 80000 km.oil change twice a year (Mobil1). and stil going strong.

Regards Per DK

Reply to
Per Rasmussen