5W-40 Free Valvoline Synthetic in my 850?

Valvoline is running a rebate on their synthetic oils which lets you buy 6 quarts for free. Many of the European vehicles suggest 5W-40 oils. My '96

850 manual calls for a dino 15W-40 as the preferred oil.

I bought some of the free Valvoline synthetic which is available in many standard weights and am going to try the 5W-40.

The rebate is at:

John

Reply to
John Horner

I have only used a synthetic 5W40 in my 1998 V70 T5 since new. The Volvo owner's manuals seem to only refer to non synthetic grades of oil. I can tell you that when it's really cold, the synthetic 5W40 flows alot better than any non synthetic 5W30, at least based on my scientific "shake the oil jug to see how viscous the fluid is inside" tests.

Reply to
Mike F

synthetic will improve your cooling cold start lube engine life and fuel economy with out gluging up the engine as well as lasting much longer

Reply to
John Robertson

Now it looks like Valvoline does not plan to honor the rebates they gave out:

Here is the latest double speak I got from Valvoline on this topic:

The Valvoline Company sent a special $28 rebate offer via e-mail to an "opt-in" SynPower enthusiast database. This particular offer was limited exclusively to those particular individuals, and to those individuals alone. Unfortunately, several "freebie" Internet sites found the Web link and posted this offer, which seemingly made it appear to be available to anyone. It is not. As a result, The Valvoline Company in the meantime has removed this offer/link as it was exclusively intended for the original recipients of the special e-mail.

We have an e-mail listing of every individual to whom the offer was sent. If you are one of the original recipients, please provide your name, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address, and we will check to see if you are on the original distribution list. Just "Reply With History" to this message. We will contact you after our review.

Again, this offer is valid only to the select SynPower member list. Thank you for understanding.

T B Caudill Manager, Customer Service The Valvoline Company

Of course there were no conditions of any kind printed on Valvoline's rebate form about it being limited in any way.

What kind of company runs a marketing promotion, has it become bigger and more popular than ever expected and then sticks it to the customers who took them up on their offer?

No more Valvoline ANYTHING for me.

John

Reply to
John Horner