740 2.3 Turbo estate

I am getting a 97 reg with 68,000 miles.

I have no guarantee how often the oil has been changed previously, but car is being purchase from a reliable source.

Would there be any advantage in giving it a good hard run on motorway and then changing the engine oil and filter, or would it be better to change the oil and filter first, then give a hard run and then again change oil and filter.

Any recommended grades of oil for the procedure?

Jeff

Reply to
Edward Milan

Personally I would change oil, filter and coolant, then give it a good long but easy run. Then change them again. You don't know what is in the oil now, or if the filter is ok. I would also get new air and fuel filters.

Paul

Reply to
Pm

Have owned an '87 740 turbo wagon (estate) since new and have always used synthetic oil. If your car turns out to be in good shape, I would go with sythetic oil to ensure that the turbo bearings continue to work without problem. While the B-23 engine is really fine, turbo bearings seem to be the item that can go, if not properly oiled.

Good luck, I hope your 740 turns out to be a trouble free as mine. It's a simple car that seems to be well made.

Reply to
TEF

Change it, drive it fast for an hour or two, then pour a liter/quart of ATF in the oil, drive easy for 1/2 hour and have it changed while it's very warm.

I used to stick my finger in the oil fill hole, and reach around--if there was a 'lot' of gunk I would remove the valve cover and clean out as much gunk, including digging out any gunk in the oil galleries that I could reach, and if they were badly gunked up I would use a wire hanger and press down in there to get as much gunk either pulled up (better) or pushed down ( danger will Robinson!) Pressing gunk down risks clogging up the gallery, try not to do that if there is heavy gunk.

I seized a engine using 'motor flush' since then--mid 70's--I now use transmission fluid to do the job--loosen up gunk--***BUT** in beat engines the gunk in the bearings etc is critical--wash it away and you might have a very noisy engine...

So my advice is do the finger test, also look on the dip stick--it should not be much discolored along it's length--obviously there will be some, but if it's all black where the dipstick is covered by oil you have a badly maintained car--Most Volvos in the USA will pass these tests more or less--my experience is from years of driving $200 American cars as a kid.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Many thanks for comments, It is a 940, and a replacement for current

940 2.0 which has a worn out no. 1 cylinder.

Reply to
Edward Milan