740/760 heater control valve

Does anyone sell a *metal* vacuum operated heater control valve? The valve in my brother's 760T appears to be original, and I'm getting ready to go through the cooling system.

I have seen places touting superiority of the plastic ones, but I have personally had one snap clean in half, heard of others, and seen several warped heads due to plastic radiator tanks failing. The problem is that failure is catastrophic and coolant is lost before you even realize something happened.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've never seen the metal ones, but sort of resolved to run the plastic ones a max of 100k miles. They seem to last that long. My routine when I buy a new used brick, is to completely replace the cooling system. All hoses, heater valve, water pump, thermostat. I've even pulled the metal heater line that wraps back around the engine, just to make sure it's ok.

My last replacement radiator was for the turbo, and I specifically asked for a full metal nissan, and got the nissan, but it still had the plastic end caps. I was in a hurry to take a trip and took it anyways. I have had original radiators snap the neck on me.

The other often forgotten weak spot in the cooling system is that damned rubber seal for the thermo switch (electric fan?) on the passenger side. I lost my last 740 that way. Only hint I got was the enormous white cloud behind me as my coolant left. By that time, the guage was pegged, and it was over.

Do let us know if you find a metal one. Is there a possibility of subbing in something from another car?

good luck, /glenn

Reply to
/g

Nissens, and yes, I've seen far too many plastic tank radiators fail like that. When I got my 740, it had a shiny clean cylinder head and a brand new looking Nissens radiator in it, I can guess why.

That's a part I've never had fail. You can install that switch (for the aux electric fan) in an inline adapter that goes in the lower radiator hose.

As for the valve, all the ones I've found so far are plastic, the plan is to just replace it regularly with the timing belt.

Reply to
James Sweet