740 boggs down....intermittently

Hello, I am having an occasional problem with my 1990 740 Turbo wagon.

I was driving for about 15 minutes when the car started to bog down when I pushed the throttle. As long as the throttle was only slightly open, the car would run, but when I tried to accelerate, it would bog and the engine would start to "miss" and almost stall. I put the car in neutral while coasting and was able to rev the engine as long as I barely opened the throttle. Once again the engine would miss and almost die when I tried to rev the engine quickly in neutral. The further I drove, the worse it got. At first I could not go over 2500 rpm without it bogging down, then I could maintain 2000 rpm, then 1500 then..... it would only run when idling. As soon as I would hit the accelerator, it would almost stall, however, I could quickly release the throtle and it would return to idling. The problem continued to worsen until the car finally stalled on its own. However, here is the interesting part: after the car stalled, I started the engine again and it worked fine!!? It has now been running perfectly for a couple of days.

This is the second time my car has done this. I have checked the computer trouble codes, but it flashes 1-1-1 (everything normal). It is hard to troubleshoot further until it starts acting up again, so I don't even know where to look.

Has anyone ever enocounterd this problem before? I would be greatful for any advice.

Thanks, Tammy

Reply to
Tammy

Clogged Fuel Filter Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

Reply to
Ecomoda

Check your fuel pump relay it can fail intermitantly.Also check out this link

Dale

Reply to
D. Turner

I have similar problems with my '89 240 wagon... found that if I shut the engine off, then remove and reattach the connector to the Air Mass Meter several times (to clean the contacts) it does fine for months before it repeats... might be worth a try!

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid