740 Cold Weather Starting Problems

Have a '87 740, non-turbo, that has suddenly started not taking to cold weather.

Turn the ignition on and the seat belt light is the only light on the dash that illuminates. Lights work, radio works, antenna raises and lowers, etc, and can turn the engone over, but the ECU will not allow the fuel pump relay to energize and the motor to start.

I assume the ECU is responsible for turning oil pressure, check engine lights, etc. on.

Once the lamps illuminate car starts and runs perfectly. Once warm the lights come on immediately upon turning the key and starts fine,

Takes as much as 4-5 minutes to get things going and I thought my '80

240 Diesel was cold natured.

Any suggestions, hints or magic wands would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Remove the "nospam" if replying via email.

Reply to
jdunville

There is a thin red wire that runs from the alternator, check that it is in good condition and has a good contact.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Brushed and sanded the connector to no avail. Was not in vain, as there was some corrosion on the contact though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
jdunville

The alternator is what is responsible for turning all warning lights on before starting except the oil light. Low oil pressure takes care of that one. The fact that none work leads me to believe you have a problem with your ignition switch.

Reply to
Mike F