740 Gear box drip

I just had my 740 GLE auto gear box repaired by my long time mechanic. A constant drip from the rear of the box following a 600 mile journey. He came up with a solution which involved new seals/bushes and was carried out on the ramp by machining down the drive shaft and a well aimed tap to complete the fix. (this is his description not mine) A week of bedding in and this apparent common problem was fixed for £175. Now I've got leaking power steering on around the rubber boots. How is this repaired? I have a genuine

59,000 miles on the clock so what am I doing wrong?.
Reply to
Terry Collins

Perhaps not driving it enough and allowing seals to dry up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Do you mean power steering fluid is leaking from the boots, or just getting onto the boots?

You may simply have a leak in the system somewhere. There are a couple of flexible rubber pipes running between the pump and the rack, and various small rigid pipes along the length of the rack. It's possible that these may leak, especially from the unions. The pump itself can also leak at the pulley bearing.

If you have fluid coming out of the boots themselves, this could be bad news. Apart from a small amont of oil added during assembly, there shouldn't be any fluid getting into the boots to leak out. Are they punctured, or has one of the end clips come off? If fluid is continually leaking from them, you have bad seals inside the rack. This normally means a reconditioned rack, unless you wan't to have a go renewing the seals yourself (fairly major job).

Whatever the Collins.vcf file is that you've attached to your message, please don't send attachments on usenet.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave