[SOLVED] 740 GL: how much steering rod play?

Re: 89 740 GL sedan:

Once in a while the front end develops a strange shimmy/vibration. ON very smooth roads, going straight, even at 70 MPH, the car has no vibrations. But if you make a turn in the road, decelerating, and it is not so smooth, often this "shake" will start. It lasts only about

4-6 seconds or so. Bad enough to sure get your attention! Its not the road itself at all, it is something in the front suspension..but rough roads are more prone to trigger this shimmy/shake/vibration. My first impression was that I had a worn out tie-rod end. But I lifted the front end and checked. At both tie rod ends there is NO play. BUT both wheels can be moved back and forth about 1/4 inch, there is that much play in the steering for each wheel. Each steering rod goes into a boot, and it is the attachment at that inside end of the steering control rods on each side, that has the play. It seems like this is enough slop to cause an intmt. vibration, but I am not any expert. How much play is allowable before this steering assembly has to be replaced? Is 1/4 in. of play anything to worry about?
Reply to
Geronimo

If you are saying that with the steering held still (no movement of the steering column shaft) that there is 1/4" of play at each end of the rack and pinion assembly, then yes, that would be excessive.

If the R+P has no adjustment (I do not think it is adjustable for play) then hold one tie rod while someone else manipulates the other wheel. If you can feel if then the rack and pinion sounds like it is worn. If the wheels have 1/4 of play each, then the tie rod ends (probably inner) and/or the rack needs replacing. When the R+P in the

960 wnet, there was excessive lateral lay at the end of the rack on one side from a failed/worn bushing (the inner tie rod could be moved fore and aft).

Sounds like it is time for a good shop to take a loook at it. Once a steering component has excessive play, the subsequent wear accelerates and will become worse in a hurry. It's not a good thing to lose steering control.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I think you've found the problem - there should be no detectable play (assuming you have one wheel off the ground and the other is on the ground). I had to replace one tie rod because of vibration on braking, and the play was about what you describe. The boot over the rack was torn and I guess dirt got in there and attacked the joint.

Each tie rod is close to $100 US, and that probably depends on the version. (Mine was a Cam Gear.) There is a ZF rack and a Cam Gear rack. The ZF rack is boldly emblazoned "ZF." IIRC the ZF tie rod is staked onto the rack with a dog washer and is easier to remove than the Cam Gear type, which has a flattened collar or dimpled shoulder - something like that - to stake it. Obviously, alignment is mandatory after replacing either tie rod. By all means, replace the boot while replacing the tie rod.

If you take it to a shop, I'd expect about $400 US for the whole shootin' match.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There's also the Koyo rack on the later 940s and 960s with similar front-ends.

But.. um.. $100 for the tie rod? Aftermarket bits are available for about $10 for the outter and $20-$25 for the inner bits (depending on rack). The TRW branded bits for the Cam Gear/TRW racks run about $25, if you really wanted to I'm sure you could find TRW or Moog branded bits for the ZF or Koyo racks as well.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Yup... I had one replaced on the 960 when they were doing teh alignment, and the part was about $25- a Moog.. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

That's good to know. The dealer only mentioned the entire tie rod (before I had internet.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee