740 GL Vibration Transmission Mount

Sudden vibration/noise in the cabin.

Transmission mount shagged!

Place jack under transmission pan to support transmission (use block of wood between jack and pan to distribute stress on pan).

Remove cross-member (4 bolts, 14mm) and broken mount under rear of transmission. My mount was so corroded that center bolt (15mm) did not even need removing.

Remove shagged mount, screw in new mount ($10 aftermarket, $60 from Volvo)

Replace cross-member/transmission mount assembly.

done.

Reply to
auto467016

John Robertson

You live in a dry climate down under, so it is not surprising that bodies don't rust easily.

Same here in the SW, e.g. LA.

I live in Pacific NW, and car bodies rarely rust, even though it rains a lot.

Main cause of rust: salt on roads in winter, e.g. in New England and Upper Midwest, cars rot in no time.

We rarely get snow in Portland, Oregon, and when we do, they don't use salt (tree huggers).

Reply to
Mr. V