740 GLE Starts but stalls after warm up can't restart

Does anyone know why my trusty Volvo does not run.

I have a 87 740 GLE w/220000 miles. It ran fine until the aux shaft seal dumped oil. I pulled stuff from the front of the engine and replaced aux shaft oil seal. I have been in this area about six month before replacing the crank oil seal and timing belt. Tried to start engine before putting parts back in place. It started but stalled and would not restart. Tried starting fluid (ether) at the mass air intake still no start. Strong odor of gasoline, I'm thinking no spark. Check timing, OK, spark a little orange, jumped spark from #1 plug wire to exhaust manifold. Plugs regapped. Again starts but dies. Reassembled the engine parts (PS, AC,ALT, and STUFF) and stared engine, it ran long enough to set timing @ 12 degrees BFTDC. Now it started when cold but within 3 minutes it stops. Still has a strong smell of gasoline. Does anyone have any knowledge as to why my good ole'

740 is giving me the treatment? Thanks. Paul snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com
Reply to
Paul E. Kemp