740 No Start After Stall While Idling - Need Fuel Pump Relay Info

After starting my son's 1990 Volvo 740 GL wagon for a periodic "run up" and drive around after a bout two months sitting idle (son's serving over in Kuwait, car's with me while he's away), the car stalled after about 1/2 hour of driving and idling. Initially started right up and ran great. Died sometime while I was away from it for a short time working on the son's other Volvo, an 83 240 Turbo. The 740 doesn't want to restart - cranks but no catch. Did try to catch briefly on some starting fluid. Timing belt seems OK, as I can see the through the oil filler opening on the cam cover that the cam has moved after cranking. Suspect either one of the two fuel pumps or their associated relays have crapped out. Basing that on total lack of fuel smell in engine compartment or at the exhaust pipe after extended cranking trying to restart. I'm temporarily at a disadvantage w/o a shop manual for this car. Will get one ASAP, but trying to fix sooner if I can get some basic info.

Both the main fuel pump fuse and the in tank pump fuse seem OK, and contacts in fuse block look OK.

What sort of load resistance should I see on the load side of the fuses in the circuit? Presumably something low if the circuits are calling for the pump to be running, I would expect to see the pump motor DC resistance there.

Is there a convenient place to check fuel delivery pressure, like the Schrader valve on late model Fords?

Can someone tell me the location and pin out of the two relays, so I can troubleshoot, including temporary jumpering of the relay contacts, which I believe are a common problem with these cars, just like the 240 series? I am also suspecting possible corrosion in some contacts in the relay connector plugs, as its been very wet and humid here since the last time the car was run.

Yes - there is plenty of fuel in the tank - I added a few gallons as the first step of the troubleshooting process, and I know tank was fairly full to start with.

Chris Bowne Stonington, Ct

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Check the fuel pump relay first, it's in behind the fusebox in the center console of an '87 but I think by '90 they moved it, very common problem is a cracked solder joint on the circuit board inside, the cover pops right off, no need to replace it if you have a soldering iron, the fix takes only a couple minutes.

Reply to
James Sweet

The fuel rail should have pressure. The pump runs a couple seconds when you first turn the switch on. The pressure should remain. Carefully loosen a fitting with the switch off to check for pressure. Disconnect the Air Mass meter and see if it starts. With the AMM disconnected it goes into "limp home" mode. If it starts without the AMM it is either AMM wiring or the AMM. Check the web for a better price than the dealer on new and rebuilt AMMs. Check the brickboard for relay info.

Good Luck

Al

Reply to
ALRHALL

Had the same problem on a UK 740, changed the fuel pump relay (at the back of the fuse box in the centre console on mine) fired up fine after.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

Agreed with others. Replace the fuel pump relay first. Similar problems happened on my 88 740 GLE. Changed a new relay ( located in the centre, after the ash tray), and the problem was gone. Good luck.

Reply to
Jim

Try checking the Main Computer Power Module. This cuts power to the fuel pump(s) until all safeties check OK at the main CPU.

This might help.

Gustavo Suárez

1986 740 GLE w/ 267,000 miles and still go> Had the same problem on a UK 740, changed the fuel pump relay (at the back
Reply to
G. S.