740 pinion seal replacement

Hi, I have a pinion seal that is allowing lubricant past it. I do my repairs in the driveway and am looking for pointers to taking this on myself. Are there any special tools or fixtures needed to do this? I have never had the axle apart on this or any other car and don't want to create problems. I have limited experience, I know the only way to get experience is to do the work. Model year is 1990 and mileage is around 175K to 180K

What is a common mileage range for the pinion bushing to need to be replaced? If I am doing the seal I would not want to over look the bushing (or is it called a bearing?).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
My_roller2000

The job consists of disconnecting the driveshaft, removing the big nut in the center of the flange, pulling the flange off, prying out the old seal, then the reverse to reassemble.

The only problem is getting the flange off, sometimes. The big nut inside the flange can be quite tight, if you don't have access to an impact gun, you'll need to have a friend hold the wheels still with the brakes unless your parking brake is really good. Remember: If you're up on ramps, trying to turn that nut will move the car! The old seal will pry out quite easily.

There's no need to do anything else - in fact if there's any problem with any of the bearings you'd know about it already - you'd be complaining about the noise. Only the auto trans has a problem with the rear bushing wearing that usually needs to be changed the same time as the seal.

Reply to
Mike F

Thank you Mike! I am concerened about being able to come up with enough torque while under the car, just not a lot of room. I am glad you pointed out that the car will move if on ramps. I have 2 jack stands that I will place under the rear axel, then I will have to depend on a friend and the brakes to get the big nut off and back on. I have on my list of things to get is impact gun and a BIG compressor to run the thing, but that is in the future. Do you happen to recall the correct socket size for this large nut? I would like to attempt this in one try so knowing I have the correct size socket would be very helpful.

I plan to buy an impact socket if it is a size I don't own, Would regular depth work?

I have found an artice on a webpage that talked about the parts needing to marked and oriented to prevent excessive vibration (balanced at the factory in a particular orientation) and how to refill the case with a long hose.

Would you mind commenting on the orientation thing and any other tips that you can think of would surely be helpful?

Last thing I guess I need to know is the torque setting that I need to get this set back to? I think my torque wrench only goes up to 200 ft lbs. Really appreciate the help in keeping my Roller going.

Reply to
My_roller2000

don't talk about the socket you need, and it's been quite a whilesince I've done this, but as I remember a normal depth socket is all youneed, and as for size, I think 24mm, but it may have been 22 or 27. When in doubt, mark everything with scratches so you can put it back together exactly as it comes apart.

Reply to
Mike F