740 radio problems

My 1991 740 wagon radio isn't working properly. When it's on there's a terrible electronic noise coming from all speakers. The noise is worse when I operate anything electric (power windows or turn signals for example). It never gets better, only worse. Needless to say I don't operate the radio (except to see if miraculously the problem might have stopped).

During the winter the area that houses the antenna motor became full of water (drain plug was clogged). This is about the time the problem started, but I can't put my finger on it exactly. I replaced the antenna motor and the problem went away for about two months. Now the problem has returned.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a short in the wiring but I have never touched the wiring so don't know how that could have happened.

I posted a similar question when this first happened (about three months ago) and someone said there is a fuel relay that works double-duty as fuel relay/"something to do with the radio". Has anyone heard of this? I fos, where'w the fuel relay?

Thanks

Reply to
mgb

John Robertson

Exactly so. The only thing I'd add is that a break in the shield anywhere will do the same thing. The antenna mounting is the problem at least 90% of the time, but if the radio has been in and out a few times the shield could be broken at the radio connector. The connector should not rotate more than about ten degrees either way under gentle fingertip twisting.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee