740 spark plug replacement

It might be common knowledge but I thought I'd share anyway...

I bought some new Bosch spark plugs for my 1989 2.3l 740 and three of the old plugs came out with hardly a problem, the fourth though, in number three cylinder, was tighter than a tight thing which had been tightened by Mr.Universe's big brother.

I was able to undo it only about half a turn, then tighten it, then loosen it, then tighten it..... I sprayed penetrating oil on it several times but still only got it loosened about one whole turn in all before it locked solid again. Becoming more and more worried about stripping the thread I consulted the source of all knowledge - the internet - and found that running the engine for just a couple of minutes should expand the alumin(i)um head sufficently to give slightly more space for the plug to be unscrewed, and.....it worked!!

There are few occasions in life when one is truly happy but this was one of them. I've taken many engines apart in the past so I knew what would have been involved if the plug thread had stripped.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Good job. I'd have probably stripped it or broke it off before thinking about checking on line. ('cause I know *lots* about motors and stuff... I think to myself.) Don't forget the anti-seize on the new plugs.

A funny story: My neighbor bought a new model year Honda back in the '80's. He went to change the oil and couldn't get the filter off. He ended up shreading the canister all the way down to the flange so there was nothing left to grab and turn. He asked me to bring my welder over and weld something on the flange so he could turn it. After I welded a little bar on it, it spun off by hand... the heat from welding had softened the gasket. BTW... the filter he bought to replace it was the wrong one and it seems the correct filter was a new design and back ordered from Japan. He waited a week or two before he got the replacement.

Reply to
Clay

It's another good reason not to use air tools to remove or replace spark plugs!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Another trick for the mental toolbox. Thanks! (And maybe more thanks down the road when I need to use this.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have had many cars with aluminium head and never had success with bosch plugs .I use anti seize because of my experience with bosch .I prefer NGK plugs because of this very reason .As this is over many cars and millions of miles it pays .Motor craft were good till they stopped making them in Japan .

Reply to
John Robertson

ALWAYS use anti-seize when plugs go into an alloy head.

Your plug problem may have been caused by either the Bosch plugs beign just a little longer than othre brands in th threads, or they might have run just a bit cooler (or both) causing excessive carbon build up making them difficult to get out....?

I see commercials for "Denso" spark plugs. I am assuming that this is the renamed "Nippon Denso" company...? I used their ND-U plugs for years in my motorcycle and they ran great! I see the commercial for the Iridium plugs with teh U groove side electrode. Tempting, indeed!

"John Roberts>

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

There's probably cases where this is wrong, but I've never had anything great to say about any of the fancy gimmicky spark plugs. I tried Bosch Platinum plugs a couple times, in one car the electrodes wore down surprisingly fast and another ran like absolute crap under boost and took forever to track down, now I always use plain old NGK plugs and have never had any problems at all with them.

Reply to
James Sweet

That may be the case. I know that the ND U groove made a big difference in the way the bike ran, and like you, I had very bad results in the same vehicle with the Bosch platinum. This was in a vehicle with points and standard kettering ignition (12 v system, single set of points, with two 6 v. coils).

I think the New Denso has an exposed center electrode as opposed the the "hidden" electrode on the Bosch plugs.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

That was my experience using Bosch platinums in the 765T. Within a year there were only holes where the center electrodes were and the engine was misfiring under load. Some say other brands don't do that but I'm happy with regular NGKs.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
John Robertson

Correction: 80 km/h - not 8 km/h of course

Reply to
Volvo