740 Starts only by shifting gears from N to P

The only way to start her up is by changing rapidly from neutral to park with the ignition key in cranking position. What am I dealing with, and how do I fix it? Thanks so much again for helping with the below problem as well !!!!

1987 740 Turbo Automatic, engine: B230FT

Disconnected battery cables. Cleaned TB, reassembled and shock: Tried

> to start the baby and no go. Engine does not turn. Fuses are fine. > When turn ignition key can hear click in fuse / relay area (can't > swear by any other sounds - don't think there are any, but doing it > single-handedly makes it hard to listen all over). Engine does not > turn. Checked and get 12 volts at starter. Checked other wires, > including large ground connected to engine block - all fine. Get power > to everything: all lights, radio, fan, wipers etc. Starter or fuel > pumop at fault? Why would it go bad by just staying put for couple of > hours? '87 740 B230FT Automatic. !!! THANK YOU !!!
Reply to
NVRosie

Sounds like the inhibitor switch that prevents the engine being started while the transmission is in drive.

I have had limited experience with autos, hopefully someone else will be more precise with the location and a fix.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

I have no experience with auto transmissions, but your problem is definitly the switch at the transmission lever. The switch is there to prevent start of the engine except when the transmission is in Park. I have never understood why there is no corresponding function on cars with manual transmission. Those can be started in any gear. Are "automatic" drivers less careful?

Anyway, either the switch is faulty or you have a loose cable or almost broken cable in there. The fact that you can start by juggling the lever makes it 99 % sure that the problem is at or near the switch. The vibrations from the juggling make contact now and then and your starter cranks.

This is an easy or very easy problem to fix. You must remove the panel(s) at the lever in order to get to the switch. I can't tell for sure how to do this, but most likely it's a few Phillips screws. Then check the switch. If you are lucky it has come loose or something like that. I would first take the panel off and do a visual inspection. If the cables seem fresh, the switch is properly mounted, I would buy a new or used switch and replace it.

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman

Good thinking Gunnar but automatic gearbox selectors have a starter inhibitor switch which enables starting in either Neutral or Park. Still amounts to the starter inhibitor switch playing up.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Maybe one day I'll replace mine too - same problem, but I usually move it out of park and back again a couple of times and it starts fine. One day I guess I may not be so lucky!!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley