740 Turbo Exhaust Leak

My 1986 740 Turbo has an exhaust leak where the manifold connects to the engine block below the 2nd cylinder from the firewall. On Trips of at least 100 miles the heat from the leak burns the ignition wire and causes the lost of this cylinder.

My question: has anyone had this experience and if so how expensive and extensive is fix?

Car has 95M miles and turbo was replaced at 90M.

Reply to
red

If none of the bolts are stripped it can be fixed in a couple hours, you have to replace all four gaskets though, the hardest part is usually getting the oil feed line off the turbo so you can pull the whole assembly off the head.

Reply to
James Sweet

Broken studs are more the rule than the exception. Heat all the nuts (3 front pipe, 8 cylinder head) cherry red before removal. If you break a stud it will really slow you down!

The worst part seems to be that either they used low quality gaskets when they changed your turbo, or they broke one of the studs on that cylinder and just ignored it.

Reply to
Mike F