745 '92 can I replace AC controller myself?

I got a relativelly cheap but very nice 745 '92 vagon. But A/C stopped working about half a year later. Mechanic said that AC controller needs to be replaced and asked $900.

I'm a computer guy, I guess I could buy a used part and replace it myself. Just connect the wires of the same color and that's it? Is it more to it? Should I try?

(I did small things like oil changes, spark-plug replacements, brake-cylinder replacements on my other old cars in the past, so I'm not a total looser, and I know how to screw and unscrew stuff.... :)

Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
Dmitry Sazonov

You don't have to color code it. Just unplug the old one and pulg the new one in.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Jumper 12V through a fuse dirrectly to the compressor clutch and make sure the AC works with the controller bypassed. Then.. My standard reply; "Go to a 'U PICK' junk yard". Learn how to take one out without damaging the dash. Take it home and open it up and look for bad solder joints. (In a 94 940 the relay to board joint cracks). Put in the "New" controler. If it works, great. If not, open up the one you took out and try to fix it.

Last Resort eBay. Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts