745 Catalytic Converter

My father-in-law is experiencing a loss of power with his '88 745, especially when going up hills. Recently, his mechanic replaced the exhaust system aft of the catalytic converter. He said that he had a difficult time with the replacement. I am wondering if there was a lot of hammering at the rear of the catalytic converter, if he could have done damage to the "gravel" in the cat causing a blockage. We found a hose blown off near the air intake (one with a breather coming off of it) and I'm wondering if he is getting backpressure in the system.

What is the average life of a catalytic converter? This car has 135,000 miles and I seem to remember they must be replaced about 150,000 miles but I could be wrong. Is there an easy test to check the converter? How about holding your hand up to the exhaust and see if there is an appropriate amount of air coming out? I am going over later to look a little deeper so any ideas would be appreciated.

Randy in Pittsburgh

Reply to
Randy Hass

Sounds like it yes.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi had this happen on a 264 once the muffler clogged up knew I was in trouble when a Volkswagen passed me up hill .Sure enough it was full of carbon when replaced it went well again .Mind you this is one of the few times I will ever confess that I ever owned a !#$@#$* 264 Volvo .

Reply to
John Robertson

replace the muffler and see the diff if it has back pressure full of carbon

Reply to
John Robertson

Pulled the catalytic converter tonight and found it quite clogged with carbon. He is looking for a new part now. If anyone has any ideas on where to get a good replacement, please let me know. Thanks for all the support.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Hass