745 TD overdrive electrics components?

I have an electric problem with my 745 TD 1989 overdrive. Does not switch reliably any more after about 1 hour driving. My Haynes manual did not give a complete description of the electric components. So I have started with cleaning contacts I could access and identify definitely to belong to the overdrive circuits: contacts and pushbutton in the gear switch handle and contacts on solenoid on overdrive down under the car. But shouldn´t there be still a relay somewhere giving voltage to the solenoid and to the pilot lamp at the instrument panel? Does anybody know where that relay is located, if there is one?

Thanks for any input!

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

zencraps

Reply to
hjsjms

The relay is located behind the ashtray in the central electrical unit. Remove the cover over the cigar lighter and the two screws behind it and move that section of the center console out of the way. The relay is on the right side of the relay rack. The relay will be white, orange or red depending on whether it has manual or automatic transmission. If it is manual be sure to ensure that the fourth gear switch on the top right hand side of the transmission is providing sufficient ground to allow the OD relay to switch correctly.

Bob

Reply to
User