760 Tail Light Problems

I have an '87 760 Turbo. For quite some time the tail lights have been giving me trouble and I'm soon going to replace both assemblies. I've recently discovered that when my head lights are on my tail lights work intermittently or not at all. Today I spent some time trying to isolate the problem by going through and checking all the bulbs, the contact points for the bulb sockets and all the fuses. My concern is that I cannot safely drive at night and would like to know if any of you have ever encountered this problem. If so, what might be a solution aside from taking it to a dealership and being charged an insane amount of money for diagnostics and repairs.

tergen

I have often seen a failure in the flexible circuit board at the harness connector. The circuit board might still be available separately and it is quite easy to replace as there is nothing to solder.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Look in the fuse box, there's a red cannister in there which is the bulb failure sensor. All power to the headlights and taillights routes through that part, pop the cover off and you will likely find cracked and dull looking solder joints on the two circuit boards inside, you can either flow some new rosin core solder into the joints or replace the $$$ module. If you can't fix it yourself I would suggest finding a TV repair shop, they can fix it up for you in a few minutes for less than the cost of a new one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is there any possibility this sort of problem would simply be caused by a bad circuit board in the tail light assembly? Would that cause this sort of problem?

I'll be taking the fuse box out this weekend to check on the sensor you mentioned, although I want to explore other possibilities as well.

Reply to
tergen

It could be, sometimes the contacts burn where the plug connects, I've fixed a couple of those bulb failure sensors recently though and it's not really any harder than messing with the taillight circuit boards.

Reply to
James Sweet

sweet. well i guess i'll make the sensor the first priority as it is the easiest possible solution. thanks!

Reply to
tergen

I replaced both tail light assemblies. The heat from the bubs can melt the plastic causing the contacts to receed into the plastic assembly. This makes the bulb holder lose contct. I have also slipped a small strip of sheet metal under the contact to restore the connection.

The same problem occurred in a new assembly after four month of use.

Reply to
thunderbeast