760 Window Regulator Interchangeability

Hi all,

The driver's window on my 1988 760 does not go to the top and never has... it gets to within about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch and then the motor starts skipping (buh-buh-buh-buh) and it won't go any higher.

I took the door panel off and discovered that the semicircular metal gear that the motor engages has had the last 4-5 teeth stripped off.

As I doubt there is any way to repair that stripped gear I'd like to replace it but I haven't been able to find anything on eBay except the whole window regulator. I don't know of any convenient wreckers (there's an overpriced one 90 minutes away where they do the pulling) so I'm trying to find another solution.

My questions:

  1. Can this gear exist separately or be removed from the rest of the regulator or is it stamped into place?
  2. Can the regulator from the rear door either yield this part or the entire regulator in a swap?
  3. Can the regulator (or this part) be substituted from another vehicle (the 740 seems so similar to the 760)?

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

  1. No.
  2. No.
  3. Yes, but there may be differences. If you get a different one, make sure the motor is included.
Reply to
Mike F