78 245 Trailing arm

I have (unsuccessfully) tried to change my traling arm bushings on my car ('78 245), and am giving up and reassembling it. The arm now seems too short by about an inch. I can connect the rear part by the differential, or the front part just past the shock absorber, but not both. Did I bend it or is there some trick that I'm missing here?

Reply to
Enoch Zembecowicz

Because the bushings are shot, the axle is not located properly and can twist. The differential assembly is heavier on the front, causing the axle to rotate. Lift up the front of the diff with a hydraulic jack, which should rotate everything into line.

Reply to
Mike F

Is it the front or rear bushings you're trying to replace? For the big rear ones you need a special tool, there's plans out there to make one, though it's MUCH easier if you have access to a metal lathe.

Reply to
James Sweet

differential,

Reply to
Roger Curtis

IPD wants quite a bit of money for the tool (the Volvo dealer too). There are instructions buried in the Brickboard's 700/900 FAQ (go figure) on how to make the tool yourself for very little money.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Yeah it cost me about $15, my friend owns a machine shop though so we were able to turn some of the parts on a lathe, but anyone with a basic metal lathe can do it.

Reply to
James Sweet