'81 DL occasional no-start/lack of ignition signal

I bought this car a month ago, and it has an occasional no-start problem caused by the lack of ignition signal. It usually occurs after it has sat for several hours or days. Usually jump-starting it will start it, but tonight jumping it would not. But I had a guy push me at work, and it bump-started fine.

The reason I know there is no ignition signal is because I installed an aftermarket tachometer, and it shows a few hundred RPM during starting, except when it won't start.

Is there a typical cause for this? I thought it could be the ignition pick-up in the distributor or a wire problem. My Volvo has the ECU or whatever on the right fender by the washer reservoir.

KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt