83' 245 firewall wire harness

Hello,

the wire harness at the firewall in my car is destroyed and most likely caused alternator problems. I am trying to identify all the wires coming out of the connector on the firewall and so for I got 2/5.

red = alternator D+ connection black = oil sending unit

I am missing brown - sort of bigger wire blue yellow yellow

Can anybody help?

Thanks, Marco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marco Rolandi PhD Candidate Department of Applied Physics

Dai Group Department of Chemistry Stanford University Stanford, 94305 phone: (650) 725-9156

Reply to
Marco Rolandi

Is it the car side or the engine side or both that's destroyed? If it's the engine side then the whole harness is probably shot, it's much easier to replace the whole thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Gray Rectangular Connector, left firewall, behind intake manifold.

  1. Black - Oil Pressure Sender
  2. Yellow - Temp Gauge Sender
  3. Red - Thin Alternator Wire
  4. Gray - Block Temp Sender
  5. Blue/Yellow - (Fat) Starter Motor
  6. Green - Oil Pressure Sender
  7. Blue - Control Pressure Regulator
  8. Brown - Starter Motor

This is from my '81 Turbo. A normally asperated car will only have one oil pressure sender wire, IIRC it's the green one.

Hope this helps,

Reply to
don hodgdon

Thanks for the help, I found out this is the color coding:

Black Oil pressure sender. Yellow Temp Gauge Red Alternator Wire (alt failure light and excitation current) Blu Yellow Starter Motor Brown(fat) Ignition coil

Since the rest of the wire harness looked pretty good. I only rewired these five wires. The only tricky one is the temp gauge. The other four can be run and the left and right side of the engine with minimal work. It took me ~ 2hrs and now all the sensors work great and the car starts much better. I am posting this to the whole group in case this can be useful as future reference.

Marco.

Reply to
Marco Rolandi