'84 240 tach

All Volvos worldwide came with Bosch alternators until the early 90s when some got Denso units.

I wonder if the tach just measures ripple on the alternator output.

Reply to
James Sweet

That is exactly what it measures. Thus, since the the alternator revs are proportional to engine revs, the tach reports the proper value. I installed the tach back in 1985, and can't recall the details. There was sheet of paper that explained the hookup. I don't remember if the "W" terminal was mentioned. The brand of alternator does not really matter. A good Volvo dealer should be able to tell you the connection requirements.

For what it is worth, there are after market tachs that derive a signal from the either the camshaft pulley or the fuel injection pump pulley. I believe they are used on some VW engines?

Reply to
jch