85 Volvo 740 GLE (non-turbo) - Tough Starting With Tank Not Full

To All,

I have a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE (non-turbo) 4-Door sedan that is having a difficult time starting when the gas tank is not full. When it is full, it will start on the 1st turn of the key. When not full, it usually starts after the 3rd or 4th attempt. We have also noticed a steep decline in gas mileage.

Any ideas or links to FAQs would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

MR Fargo, ND

Reply to
MR

Have you checked the in-tank fuel pump internal piping which develops a split which sucks air when tank not full? Also check the pump itself and the fuse that feeds it (there are two fuses one for each pump).

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Doesn't affect me yet, but definately one to be remembered! Last thing I'd of thought of, a split tube.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Peter,

thanks for responding. Now pardon my ignorance, but where is the in-tank fuel pump located? What do you mean exactly by the internal piping developing a split? Next, how does one check the operation of a fuel pump? Is the fuse that feeds it local, or is it in the fuse panel?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

MR

Reply to
MR

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:09:57 GMT, MR wrote: Go to this URL for lots of ionfo:

jdunville

Fuse 1 (25Amp) feeds both pumps via fuel pump relay and Fuse 11 (15Amp) feeds the in-tank pump. Both Fuses are at opposite ends of the second row of fuses in the fuse panel (behind ashtray). If you lift the carpet from the boot (trunk) floor between the wheel arches you will find a square black panel with four screws. Removal of this panel will allow access to the top of the fuel tank where you will find a circular removable lid with wires going through it. Removal of the retaining ring will allow you to withdraw the in-tank pump with the float mechanism for the fuel gauge. You will then be able to ascertain the condition of the piping and "sock" and be able to determine if the pump runs as it should. The main pump should take 6.5 Amps when running and the in-tank pump should take 1.6 Amps when running. A simple way of checking the current for the in-tank pump is to remove the Fuse 11 and place your current meter across the fuse holder ends.

Hope that will help you MR, from Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

And don't try to take that unit out unless the tank is less than half full.

Reply to
Mike F