850 - 94 T5 Engine Knock Sensors

Hi all

Could I get some advise on knock sensors, I had replaced these new from Volvo 5 years ago as a knock sensor kit, that is new wiring harness and knock sensors. In the last couple of months I have had to clear the emission light, fault codes logged for front & rear knock sensors, sometimes twice a month, signal missing or faulty knock sensor. I only ever use premium unleaded fuel from BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax.

I have had this occour if I idle the engine to long on start up .ie hitching up the trailer.

Short running while warming up, which I try to avoid. The light comes on after starting engine again.

and finally when low on fuel and fuel light is on.

This all varies within the above mentioned but generally the light is triggered during one of these outcomes.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary Pope

My guess it the harness modifications have gone bad from corrosion. When I did my dad's 850, I cut the terminals off the car harness, and the adapter harness, and soldered the wires together. You're supposed to cut the terminals off the car harness, put new ones on (from the kit), then plug the adapter harness into the new terminals, and plug the oxygen sensors into the adapter. The way I did it eliminates one possibility of problems.

Reply to
Mike F

It could be that your spark plug wires are shorting and giving you misfires that trigger the knock sensors. My 94 850 turbo got so bad it wouldn't run because of misfires. New wires and the knock sensor codes quit occurring.

Reply to
JDG