850 ABS TRACS OFF

I have a 1997 850 Wagon that after long trips at highway speed my ABS and TRACS OFF lights come on. I know the abs is not working because I don't hear ABS control module kick in when the car starts moving. The lights will then stay on anywhere from a few days to a week. Then for no apparent reason the lights will just go off and I can again hear the control module kick in again and things are back to normal. Would anyone have an idea what's causing the problem.

Thanks...AP

Reply to
al porter

this might help:

Steve n Holly

A VERY common failure on 850s! Your ABS controller has almost surely failed. Replacements from Volvo are around $500. You can read a little more about it at:

Lots of folks have reported good results from having this guy repair their units:

John

Reply to
John Horner

I had the Identical problem with my 97 850 don't ask why but I removed all excess keys and fobs from my ignition keyring just kept the remote locking fob and one house key plus ignition key. I have now had no abs or tracks lights showing for 3 months. In fact everything is fine. Hope this may help, it was definately cheaper for me than buying a new module! John Kelway

Reply to
John Kelway

There's another problem that turns the ABS and TRACS OFF lights on that involves the ignition switch, this sounds like your problem. Usually it's accompanied by a couple of other things (power mirrors, turn signals, rear defogger) not working if the problem is with the ignition switch. In your case, I'd change my ignition switch:

Mike F

Hello Mike What makes you think the problem is in the ignition switch rather then control module or a sensor? Thanks...Al

Reply to
al porter

In your case, I think it's the control unit. In John Kelway's case, I think the problem was caused by the ignition switch. If your signal lights work when the ABS/TRACS OFF lights are on, then the cause is not the ignition switch.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks. I note what you say about the signal lights, but as the ABS/TRACS lights have not come on since I removed my excess keys I am loath to tempt faith! John Kelway

Reply to
John Kelway

Replacing the ignition switch is very easy and the part is not expensive. I think it cost me something like $50 from the dealer and it took me no more than an hour to replace. Taking the extra keys and fobs off your key ring is a good idea since I believe the extra weight is part of the problem.

Gus

Reply to
Gus