850 GLT Wagon - engine fan does not turn on

ok, I did my homework and have searched for weeks for this info, however I was not completely successful. I also bought Chilton's repair manual, the info there is missleading.

Anyway, the temperature gauge works and shows the correct temperature. The relay that turns on the fan works. Actually I have to ground one of the yellow wires in the relay so that the fan will turn on. So for now it's a manual process. The book says that there is a fan switch temperature sensor on the radiator, but I have not been able to locate it.

Does anyone know where that sensor is? Another mechanic told me that there is none, that it is the gauge temperature sender sensor near the thermostat that causes the fan to turn on, and that it could be the one of the computer modules.

Please help me.

Reply to
ig

The book is wrong, your mechanic is correct. The fuel computer is responsible for grounding that wire when the fuel injection temperature sensor reports high engine temperature. Follow the harness and look for a bad connection.

The sensor is located just under the thermostat - if you disconnect it, the computer should turn the check engine light on as well as the fan on half speed.

Reply to
Mike F