850 head gasket followup

Hi Folks...

I got a bit sidetracked there by all the MI5 posts.

I had thought head gasket because of the thick, milk chocolate gunk on the dipstick with no clean oil showing.

One of the benefits of working in a well tooled shop is the availability of almost anything. I set one of the brighter apprentices, our only female tech, up to do a thorough leak down test on each cylinder then check for exhaust gas in the coolant using the

5gas machine. Drained the oil, found it clear. Drained the coolant using the recycler, found it weak but not contaminated. Put Jessica to work tracking down the cause. After a couple of hours digging into it she brought out the dipstick tube which had a three inch split at the bottom end. The car is parked outside in a perpetually damp Oregon spot leading me to conclude that outside humidity was the culprit.

Thanks for all your advice on the head removal. I kinda feel like a kid who has been warned to to run with scissors.

If you ever need advice on International trucks or Citroen DS stuff just let me kinow.

Regards

Reply to
pathayes81946

Great news!!

Don;t suppose you could find me 2 DS Decaportables for my sister wedding in August could you?!?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

~~~