850 High Oil consumption

Hi there

I have a 92 850 with 141,000 miles on the clock. Presently, it uses

2.5Litres of oil every 1000 miles. I have check that the flame trap is clear and there are no oil leaks. When I take the dipstick out whislt the engine is running, a very noticable puslating column of vapour comes out. Is the engine shot? Or is there some other failure possibility which is cheap to fix?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Dentt

I would do a compression test as the next step. Not hard or expensive to do.

Your oil consumption is very high.

Any smoke from the tailpipe under idle, acceleration, or deceleration?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Also check the PCV system. Under the intake manifold at the front (belt) end of the engine is a black plastic box that is the oil trap. With poor oil change history this clogs up, as do all the associated hoses. This box is impossible to clean properly, and you need to remove the intake manifold to replace it. Under the throttle pulley cover is some of the plumbing associated with this system including the flame trap. Start by looking at it, and the hoses that are easily removed around it. When this system is clogged up, the blow by pressure looks for other ways out of the engine, often causing leaks at various seals, popping the dipstick out, etc.

Reply to
Mike F