850 Oil smoke after idle

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some brief advice regarding a curious problem that has arisen recently in our '95 850GLT Wagon with Synthetic 10W30 oil:

The car doesn't seem to be blowing smoke during regular driving but if you idle for a while (even a few seconds at an intersection) then you get a puff of blue oil smoke when you accellerate. If you idle for a few minutes then you get a big puff of smoke. The amount of smoke appears proportional to the idle time.

I've also noticed that there seem to be some exhaust-like gasses coming from under the hood. Could all this be a plugged PCV system and, if so, might it have caused a hose to split or get disconnected, or are these two issues likely not connected. Can the PCV system be easily accessed or do I need a hoist?

Also the car has recently started detonating at about 1800-2000rpm.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, blurp

Reply to
blurp

You gave one of the two crucial details for considering a question such as yours. The other is, how many miles (/kilometres) are on the engine?

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Sorry, about 165,000km on the car. I got it at about 158,000km and I've done one oil change recently.

Thanks, blurp

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:14:05 +0300, the illustrious snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net (Henry) favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

This many mile on a properly maintained 850 should not be a problem. Changing the type of oil may be a big problem. The seals on these were problematic. You may have just opened up a seal leak by changing oil. It is relatively expensive to replace the oil seal, but well worth it if the rest of the car is solid.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I'm not very familiar with the 850 specifically, but I think you are on the right track with the PCV system. It should be serviced anyway, and the symptoms are very much what our 765T did when the ventilation plugged up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My '97 850 was showing the exact same symptoms to what you have described - smoke after idle. Also, when driving at above 60km/h, if I switched to neutral for about 10 seconds, then back to drive and stepped on the throttle, the same smoke would be seen. I didn't notice any smoke coming out of the bonnet, but sometimes I could smell it coming through the airconditioner.

Is your engine consuming any oil? Mine was consuming about 0.5L per

1000kms and I regularly had to keep topping it up. After about 5000kms of topping up oil, the smoking got quite bad. After emtpying the oil and refilling, the smoking stopped. I don't know if this was a permanent fix as I sold the car shortly after that with only 125,000kms.

Regards,

Han.

Reply to
han_chung

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'm going to have the PCV systems looked at this week.

Regards, blurp

On 4 Jun 2006 21:57:54 -0700, the illustrious han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp