850 radiator replacement report.

Well, after 6 hours of hot, sweaty work, my 94 850 turbo wagon has a new, leak-free (hopefully) radiator.

I ordered one from

on Friday at work, and itwas waiting for me when I got home (Atlanta area) I started with VolvoSpeed's procedure:
started by removing the fan shround:
This isn'tmentioned at VolvoSpeed, and I don't see how the rad could be removedwith the shround attached. Fortunately, I already had a 10mm 1/4 drive universal drive socket, Istuck a small rare-earth magnet in it, and removed the upperevaporator bolts without a problem. It would be nearly impossible toget these bolts out without this tool.The new radiator was made by Behr in South Africa, painted black, andabout six pounds heavier. It was non-magnetic, so I suspect it's madeof copper or brass instead of the original's aluminum. One thing is that the holes, and possible the internal tubing for theoil cooler fittings are much smaller than the originals. At leastthey fit the hoses perfectly.
thing I didn't like was the drain petcock:
original (left) has a nice fitting that drains the coolant througha hose barb when it;s loosened with a wrench. The new one has asimple plug, which will make draining the system a bit messier. One problem with the replacment was a misplaced AC evaporator mountinghole on the lower left corner (lower right in photo). This photoshows the misalignment compared to the intercooler bracket.
fix was to drill a new hole, using the intercooler as a guide,with a piece of sheet metal to protect the plastic end cap as Idrilled through the flange. I purchased new O-rings. clips, and compression washers for the oilhoses from the dealer, 12 tiny parts for $95.00(!), but afterreconsidering, I re-used the original parts after bending the clipsclosed a bit. I'll return the overpriced parts to the dealer next week.

Doug Warner