850 Recall for Fuel Tank Leaks - Anyone get their notice?

Today when I filled up my '96 850 at the gas station I found that it is leaking at the top of the tank. This was not an overfill situation.

So, I checked on:

I found that there is a recent recall for 850s for leaking fuel tanks, especially in hot weather areas.

Recall Number: 04V368000 Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES AFTER PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO HEAT, THE FUEL TANK MAY DEVELOP A LEAK AT THE POINT WHERE THE HEAT SHIELD IS ATTACHED. WHEN THIS OCCURS, A FUEL ODOR MAY BE DETECTED AND VISIBLE EVIDENCE OF FUEL SEEPAGE MAY BE SEEN ON THE TANK.

Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy: VOLVO WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANK AND REPLACE IT IF ANY EVIDENCE OF FUEL SEEPAGE OR LEAKAGE IS FOUND. FOR ALL VEHICLES, REINFORCEMENT BUSHINGS WILL BE ADDED AT THE HEAT SHIELD ATTACHMENT POINTS. THIS RECALL WILL BE CONDUCTED AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE HOT WEATHER STATES OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, AND UTAH, AND AS A SERVICE RECALL IN THE OTHER 33 STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. VOLVO HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS ACTION.

Notes: OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552. VOLVO'S RECALL NUMBER FOR THESE CAMPAIGNS IF R139. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

This is not something to fool around with. Leaking fuel can all too easily become burning fuel. Monday I shall have to call the dear old dealer.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Ironically I had that repaired on my 850, it was this small little hose some sort of bypass vent hose that was perforated. I'll still do the recall tho! Thx for the info

Reply to
Fred

Unfortunately for many of us the recall is only for some southern states. It should include all 1996 850's. Shame on Ford. Adam

Reply to
Adam

From reading the notice it looks like Volvo may be planning to roll the recall out to all states but is phasing it, perhaps due to parts supply issues. Hopefully this is the case.

John