850 rotor question

I have a '96 850 turbo (Thank you, thank you..) uhmm, I have, I think warped rotors, I think from the tire store, and thier impact wrench...

I brake at 40mph smooth, I brake at 90mph, the whole car feels like it's coming apart.

I was wondering does anyone know the correct torque to bolt the wheels onto a '96 850 turbo? I'm running Michelin 'v' rated 205 55 R16's.

I do appreciate the input. When I replace my rotors I am going with cross drilled brembo rotors, and I don't care what it says about I should not be in the shop due to insurance reasons... I want to watch the tech apply the exactly correct torque to my car.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fred

Sounds like warped rotors to me... tho with my rotors I could feel it at lower speed, but I got that terrifying shudder at higher speeds (140kph... then having to slow down.... well I didn't drive 140 anymore until I got new brakes)

I bought cross drilled rotors as well, as when I drive on the highway I am usually on long trips with a lot of weight in the car... and I always seem to be in traffic at some point, so I was getting sick of brake fade... My commuting is mostly in the suburbs, along the main industrial/commercial roads.... Lots of fast moving traffic, and frequent stops... Again, brake fade, the cross drilles brakes have made a nice difference! I bought Zimmerman rotors (don't know if they make anything for Volvo, this was on my Volkswagen) with PBR pads (there was a picture of an 850 (debadged, of course... but you could tell) on the box.

Insurance reasons for not being allowed into the shop???... Never heard this one before, I always go in. And talk about torque wrenches with the guy working on the car (ie - so what do you usually torque the bolts to on this kind of car, in case I have to do it.... they get the hint ;-) ).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The torque should be on the hub or dust cover. On my '93 960 it is 65 ft/lbs. That is one of (if not THE) lowest value I have seen on any car I have owned. In comparison, the full-size Blazer I have it 95 ft/lbs as I remember. If they used an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts then you have a good case for suing them for the replacement rotors.

WHen I brought my used 960 home Ipulled all the wheels and went through the brakes (clean and lube). The wheels were ALL overtorqued, and one of the front rotors is slightly warped. Most folks ould be able to tell but I can feel it. The previous owner bought tires at one of the 'Marts.'

I too am going to replace the front rotors when they need new pads as they have already been deeply turned (I refuse to have rotors turned unless critically necessary).

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.

Torque for my 1996 Turbo sedan, 5 bolt factory alloy wheels is specified by Volvo at: 81 ft-lb.

.... Larry

Reply to
Me