850 - Shift Solenoid B Malfunction

Hi.

Today my 1996 850 came up with a fault code P0755 (Shift Solenoid B Malfunction). As an added bonus, the "up arrow" started flashing on the dash and I believe the car was stuck in third gear for a while.

After a couple of starts and stops the car feels normal again, the up-arrow stopped flashing, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back (yet).

What am I in for here? Is solenoid B something I can replace myself? Will flushing the system help? Is this another manifestation of the PNP switch contact wearout?

Thanks

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

There are several solenoids in the transmission that control shifting. The transmission computer constantly monitors the electrical circuit between the solenoid and itself. If the resistance goes out of range, then the warning light comes on and the transmission goes into "limp home" mode. Once the problem is fixed then everything starts working normally again. So you either have a problem with the wiring (bad connection maybe), or the solenoid is starting to go bad. The solenoids are actually inside the transmission, so replacement is fairly involved.

Reply to
Mike F